Thursday 7 June 2012

My First Lesson!


Today (Wednesday) I taught my first lesson!  I taught Math and English in the Primary 2 classroom today. I thought my math lesson went pretty well considering I am still getting to know my students, the curriculum and their prior knowledge.  I was focusing on fraction names, like one-quarter ect.  I called up groups of students and had the rest of the class make fractions out of the students based on how many of the group were girls and how many were boys.  My students really responded to this.   After students worked individually to draw different fractions and identifying them.   The tools my students are used to working with are slates, workbooks and the chalk-board. 

My English lesson didn’t go as well.  I was less prepared, because I wasn’t really sure what I was going to do before I left on Tuesday, but I was able to plan during break.  After the lesson I really realized how much I am going to learn about teaching ELL students while in Uganda.  For all of my students their 1st language is Lhukonzo.  They are all learning English at school.  

I received support from both Madam Pamela and Madam Ziporah before during and after my lesson.

The highlight of my day was my students.  I have a lot of fun with the P2 students, they wrote me a bunch of notes telling me how excited they are that I am joining their school.   Here are a few:

This drawing might be my favorite.






ps
On our way home from school today we stopped at the Equator!



No comments:

Post a Comment