Tuesday 12 June 2012

Language



I will use this page to keep a running list here of the Lhukonzo I have learned.  Lhukonzo is the local language of the Kasese District and my students.  Janet and Edson speak and write in Lhukonzo, they are helping me create this page.

The most important phrases to know are those of greeting.  When ever you come upon someone it is polite to greet them.  In English this is a usual greeting:

“Hello, how are you?”
“I am fine.  How are you?”
“I am fine.”

Greetings in Lhukonzo

Lhukonzo spelling
(My pronunciation)
Meaning
Wabuchire
(Waw wo chire)
Good morning
Eb wabuchire
(Eh waw wo chire)
Response to good morning, also meaning good morning.

Wasibire


Good afternoon
Eh wasibere

Response to good afternoon, also meaning good afternoon.

Yiriwahi

(Err eh why)

How is there?
Nibuholh
(Nebuhal)
There is good.

Other words:
Lhukonzo spelling
(My pronunciation)
Meaning

Wasingya
(Wa Sin Ga)
Thank you

Buchayi
(Muchai)
Bye bye



No comments:

Post a Comment